Being a beauty blogger, I am able to reach out to many female friends out there. I’m really glad that I can be of help to try and spread the word about one of the top cancer killer – Cervical Cancer. I was invited to Lady M to know more about Cervical Cancer that day.
Did you know:
– Cervical cancer can happen to anyone who is sexually active, even to girls who only have 1 sex partner.
– Everyone is at risk when it comes to Cervical Cancer.
– It is caused by a virus infection called HPV.
– You can be infected by the virus through skin to skin contact: Sexual intercourse or contact at the genital area.
– Early Cervical Cancer has no signs or symptoms.
How to prevent Cervical Cancer?
It is recommended to
– take the HPV vaccination before you are sexually active. (Girls of the age 9 and above can take the jabs.)
– Go for Pap smear testing once every 3 years after being sexually active from age 25 onwards.
When the doctors find abnormalities in your pap smear screening, a thorough screening for pre-cancer will be given. Pre-cancer does not mean that you are getting Cervical Cancer as it can be easily removed through surgery. Cervix can become normal again once the pre-cancer is removed. The cure rate is more than 90%!
However, if early treatment was not given and as the cancer progresses, it is usually difficult to recover from it. Vaginal bleeding may occur and the removal of womb might be needed. Life may be at stake too.
The reason why we have to take the tests is because there are no signs or symptoms in the early stage of cervical cancer. Only screening and vaccination can help save your life. Today, I am very glad to tell you girls that HPV vaccination is made payable by medisave.
Go for Pap Smear screening today if you are already sexually active! There is a free screening at Bishan Clinic if you are interested. Call to find out more. Early treatment can save your womb.
Here are more pictures taken at the event:
Yvonne and me. (:
Super yummy cake from Lady M!!
Photo taking at their photo booth.